CLICK HERE for latest COVID information
Women’s Health Residency Program
Accelerate your professional development by participating in the Women’s Health Physical Therapy Residency Program. Join our team to work in a stimulating environment as you gain advanced knowledge and skills in Women’s Health Physical Therapy.
- 52 week program (to be completed by maximum of 56 weeks)
- 35 hours / week of patient care and 10 hours / week of 1:1 mentorship and didactic education in Women’s Health including both Pelvic Floor and Lymphedema Therapy
- Exposure to Special Interest Groups – Spine, Pelvic Floor, Lymphedema, Orthopedics
- Exposure to clinical observation of different specialty areas such as Breast Surgery, GynOnc Rounds, Spine Center, Pain Center, Psychology, Urogynecology, and Colorectal Surgery
- Opportunity for mentorship from a variety of therapists with diverse backgrounds and experience in Women’s Health
- Completion of LANA approved Certified Lymphedema Therapist course
- During the Residency Program, the Residents are employees of Good Shepherd Penn Partners and offered all the same benefits as employees
Application and Selection Process
Penn Therapy & Fitness currently utilizes RF-PTCAS to apply to our residency programs. Please visit this link for the current due date and to complete the online application.
The Residency Admissions Committee consisting of the Residency Coordinator, Faculty, Specialty Area Team Leader and Site Manager will review applications.
Qualifying candidates will be selected for an interview with members of the Residency Admissions Committee. Upon acceptance to the program, the 52-week Residency Program begins in the fall.
Criteria assessed include:
- Academic education
- Clinical education and mentoring experiences
- Clinical experience in the specialty area
- Research experience
- Community service
- Advocacy of the profession
Residents selected to this program must:
- Have, or be eligible for, a valid and permanent New Jersey and Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Licenses in good standing
- Complete a Good Shepherd Penn Partners application for employment
Applications are due by February 28th. Qualifying candidates will be selected for an interview with members of the Residency Admissions Committee throughout March.
Desirable candidates will have evidence of the following:
- Experience in outpatient physical therapy in the specialty area
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong fundamentals in the principles of clinical reasoning and the application of manual examination and treatment procedures
- Basic knowledge of the description of specialty practice and genuine desire to advance skills in the specialty area
- The Women’s Health Residency was established in 2012
- American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship (ABPTRFE) accredited in 2013
- Re-accredited by ABPTRFE for 2018-2028
- 14+ graduates of the program
- 2 active residents accepted for each cycle
- 100% success rate for the APTA Women’s Health Specialist Certification Exam
Denise Hartzell Leggin, PT, MBA, WCS
Women’s Health Residency Coordinator / Advanced Clinician II
Email: [email protected]